Sunday, April 02, 2017

B is for being me #AtoZchallenge

I have a unique relationship with my manager. We have a respectful employee-manager work relationship. It has also developed into a friendship, which still feels new to me.

Last Thursday, I had my performance review for 2016. Don't ask why it came so late. My company is messed up that way.

When it came down to what I could do to improve, my manager polled a rather toxic individual who naturally gave negative feedback. He hinted that both he and I dislike this person.

I flat out told him how I felt. This person seems to always have something negative to say about me and cannot back up her comments with factual information. She is highly toxic and is probably acting this way because I seem to be a threat to her. I ended saying that I would take her statement with a grain of salt, as she doesn't even know me.

I never asked why my manager asked this individual for feedback. We don't work closely with each other. After saying my two cents, he nodded in agreement.

My performance review was positive. My manager confided in me. He said that there are two writers whom he can count on to meet deadlines and get our work done. I am one of them, which is a nice compliment. The other compliment was that I was the only one on the team who received a comment saying that my work is of high quality.

The younger me would have been upset over the toxic woman's negative remarks. The person writing this blog post now is not. I am pleased with my performance at work. I balance the workload of at least two writers. These days, it seems like three. I will not let one idiot's negative remarks with no factual information to back her accusations up dampen my spirit.

I like who I am and how far I have come. It's good to grow.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, CB...you deserve every bit of that good review...hope you receive a good raise to go with it. I do believe I would have to ask why he polled Toxic Trixie when you don't work closely.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cat! Unfortunately, our company isn't doing great, so my raise won't be all that much this year.

      I am glad that I blog. The question about asking why my manager asked TT (I like Toxic Trixie) for her input didn't cross my mind until I plopped my thoughts down here. I will ask him when I talk to him again.

      Delete