Saturday, May 05, 2018

Windy day with consequences

Toronto and its suburbs experienced strong winds on Friday afternoon. My colleagues and I went out for lunch just before noon. It was breezy. Roughly 1.5 hours later, we left the restaurant and the winds had picked up.

When I left work at 17:00, I had difficulty pushing the door to get out of the building. A bit of fear washed over me. I didn't want to be stuck at work. I basically put as much weight as I could leaning on the door. Eventually, I got out after trying for a minute.

I saw a bunch of debris blow everywhere as I drove home. The most frightening part was seeing a thin sign blow in front of my car. I sadly drove over it. I checked my car and didn't see any damage.

Traffic was horrific. Many street lights weren't working. I took a longer route home. I actually cut through Brampton. Many traffic officers were guiding traffic under such windy conditions.

Driving home, there were a couple of huge trees that had fallen. On a residential street roughly two minutes away by car from my home, it had blocked my entire driving lane. I had to move to the oncoming lane to get by.

I finally figured out that Toronto had winds gusting to 118 km/h. Wow. Simply insane.

Power was and may still be out in many neighbourhoods. I hope that everyone is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment