Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Banking changes - what is old is new again

I have been with my current bank for over two decades. Back then, I had made the switch from one bank to this one due to a change in credit card (the bank changed from Visa to MasterCard) at the former.

To make a long story short, I had made a payment to the new credit card and the transaction got lost electronically. I didn't like the response that I got from that bank -- that nothing could be done. Instead, I cancelled all my accounts with this bank and moved my accounts over to a different one.

Two decades later, I am in the same predicament. Within the last month, my bank has made a couple of atrocious withdrawals from my account, which has caused a lot of stress. The latest one involved a transaction that came out of my account a week early and messed up my payment plans. I was livid and it happened during the Thanksgiving long weekend.

Ever since these two recent incidents, I have decided to change banks yet again. The funny thing is that my new bank isn't really new. I have always had a no-fee chequing account with this bank. I never bothered to use it until now.

I made the bold step the other day by changing my banking information with payroll. Once I see my pay get deposited to my newish chequing account next week, I will continue moving my various accounts over.

It's exciting to make such a change. I will also be saving on monthly fees. I don't know why I didn't make the switch sooner, but it's definitely better to do it now than to continue down this horrible fee path.

2 comments:

  1. I feel for ya, CB. That's why I don't let anyone hit my checking account. I have a credit card that is specifically for monthly bills that I then pay off at the end of the month. That way, if someone hits my twice or for the wrong amount, I can challenge it which throws that charge into abeyance. Good luck with your "new" banking situation.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, Cat. I am on a mission to get rid of credit cards. I have more than I need. I find that I am better with simply using my debit card, but there are some bills that require a credit card. Minimalism is a wonderful motivator!

      Delete