Friday, September 01, 2017

Android Oreo... sounds yummy!

I have had an Android phone for nearly a year now. I had been an iPhone user for five years. Before that, I was a BlackBerry user. I have been told that I am impartial when it comes to technology.

Yesterday, I installed the latest Android operating system, Oreo, on my phone. The good news is that nothing horrible happened during the upgrade. However, some odd things did occur:

  • I have an app called SCENE, which tracks my points for free movies, snacks, and food. For some reason, after the installation, this app decided to automatically launch itself whenever it felt like it. I uninstalled it. I have a feeling that it isn't compatible with Oreo.
  • Another app, iHeartRadio, decided to run in the background whether I wanted it to or not. I originally switched to this app because all radio stations in this network got removed from popular radio apps like TuneIn. I reinstalled TuneIn and the radio station that I enjoy listening to is back. Bye bye, iHeartRadio!
A while back, I installed System UI Tuner. It has a cool bunch of functions that are experimental on Android. I installed it because I wanted the battery percentage to appear in the upper right corner of my Pixel phone. Oddly, it isn't there by default like many phones.

Before Oreo, the percentage was right on the battery icon and it was difficult to read. With Oreo, it looks like what I was used to on my iPhone. You get a clear reading of the percentage next to the battery icon.

On the whole, Oreo seems a bit better performance-wise. I will given SCENE another try when a new version is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment