Thursday, July 20, 2017

Incompetent co-workers are everywhere!

It has been a busy week. My team of students and I had to work on a software release. We got our work done on time, with quality and accuracy, and planned it as far in advance as possible.

There were some hiccups. The main one was with a project manager. She used to be a software build programmer. She was supposed to train her predecessor. She failed.

It was the perfect storm. Her predecessor decided to take a week of vacation during a major software release. If I ever did that, my manager would not be impressed!

Her backup knew absolutely nothing. To make a long story short, our deliverables needed a couple of changes to two build scripts. It was a simple update for the project manager in the past. The backup build person had no clue what to do. The person who went on vacation had to come back and also had no clue how to update these scripts.

All of us asked the project manager to help out. She didn't. I don't get it. Sure, you have moved on to a different role. However, not helping folks who do not have the knowledge to edit build scripts caused even more issues.

This project manager had the audacity to tell me in an e-mail on Wednesday to send a couple of document links to someone. She even copied my manager. I looked at her responsibilities checklist that she had attached. This task was for her to do. I also have never dealt with this person.

What did I do? I sent her the links, copied my manager on my response, and restated her statement to send them to this person.

It is obvious that she can't do her job well. I am not doing it for her. I have plenty of other things to deal with. Moreover, if she can't answer any my questions, I do not owe her any favours in doing her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment