Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Work changes thanks to a resignation

November has just started and things are shaking up at work. And, it's not in the direction that I had hoped.

The newest writer, who has only been with the company for less than ten months, handed in her resignation last Friday. I am mixed about her departure. I actually had a premonition about it a couple of weeks ago.

This writer is extremely defensive. I have spent more time calming her down than most. Part of me would like that precious time back if it were possible.

She took on one of my original writing roles. It paved the way for my reviewing everybody's work. As a team, we already have more work than we can handle. She just added more to it.

This writer is a diva to a certain extent. She would arrive at the office after 10:00 am and leave at 17:00. Her reason for leaving so soon was to go home and "cook for [her] children." Nope, they didn't want to microwave food made the night before. They demanded fresh food. So, she got the okay to leave at that hour and work from home at night.

The problem is that you cannot keep tabs on her work at night. Her pace when completing tasks was slower than expected. She also was a bad influence on the shy writer on our team. They spent anywhere between half an hour to an hour having coffee breaks. After my manager spoke to them, their extended coffee breaks still took place.

So, it is likely that I will go back to writing regularly and work for the same project manager who is difficult. I am not pleased with that. I can only hope that another writer is hired soon, because I like my role as a reviewer while pitching in to write other types of documents. Of course, it would be best if this project manager were to retire or leave. We will see what happens.

My guy thinks that my boss can't afford to have me write full-time, as he depends on me to keep tabs on the team and ultimately manage their workload, among some of my duties. I hope that he is right.

It was a good move last week when I decided to book next week off. My guy is currently in Cairo. I will be doing a road trip to Ottawa to visit my former professor, who ended up being a good friend over the years. I have not seen him since he moved from Toronto to Ottawa nearly four years ago.

I hope to resume writing posts that are more enjoyable than this one. I just needed to let some steam off. Moments like this one make me want my guy to return home soon, so he can reassure me that things will be okay. We will see each other in less than two weeks.

Tomorrow is another day. Let's hope it's a good one!

2 comments:

  1. I do hope your days will be better, girl with the naughty name. I know people like your writer who has a bad influence. At my work I counted 7 full time people that I do not know what they are doing, and if they all left nobody would miss them.

    I do hope they take on another writer, so you can slid back in the role you are more comfortable in.
    And I do hope your guy will be back soon, so he can comfort you.

    Han

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Han. I am hoping for the best. It will be nice when my guy returns home, so he can provide his usual words of wisdom, and let me lean on him both literally and figuratively.

      Delete