Tuesday, June 10, 2014

J is for Jill of all trades

I have been pondering what topic I could possibly write about that starts with the letter j. I actually had to find j words in the dictionary for inspiration!

I like Jello. It's one of those desserts that can have no calories. Putting coloured gelatin in fun moulds is a lot of fun. Jello jiggles, which makes me giggle.

Then, there Jif, the peanut butter that you can only get in the United States. I grew up watching commercials for the product on TV, but it wasn't and isn't available in Canada. Instead, Kraft peanut butter is the most popular brand here.

As a kid, I was fascinated by Jiffy Pop, the popcorn that you pop over a stove burner. I begged my mom to get me one. We did. It was a lot of fun. I haven't seen too many of them for years.

Instead, I am going to write about the phrase, Jack of all trades. My guy fits this definition. He has many skills. The difference is that he does practically everything well.

I first noticed how quickly he picks up new skills when we first started dating. When he spanked me for the first time, it felt like he had done it before. He told me afterwards that he had watched a spanking movie, just to make sure that he got the basics down pat. He sure did and he has honed this fine skill!

A few months later, I taught my guy how to use chopsticks. He is a pro at it. I also got him to say my name in Cantonese. He still remembers it.

People have told me that this saying applies to me, except I am more of a Jill of all trades. My colleagues marvel at the fact that I am pretty versed with our software product, which is highly technical. Our product makes sense if you have a background in programming, which I am fortunate to have, but don't claim to be an expert. I am different because most technical writers are not that technical. They tend to have an Arts degree in English, for instance.

I am far from knocking an Arts degree. Studies have shown that folks with an Arts degree are well-rounded individuals. I believe it. I am an artsy person. I listen to music all the time. I grew up playing various musical instruments and singing in the choir. I love attending concerts, ballets, plays, and musicals. I could go on and on.

I tend to be a quick learner. I have to, as there are more software features that require documentation than I can keep up with.

It's helpful to constantly want to learn. I can't drive a standard car, but I want to. My guy can, but wants to teach me with a rental car. His own car is an automatic, as is mine.

My guy wants to learn how to upholster various pieces of furniture. He tells me all the time that he learns a lot from me. The feeling is mutual. Wanting to learn also makes you curious and interested in people, places, and things.

We are Jack and Jill. Maybe that's one reason why we get along so well.

4 comments:

  1. I think you could just post a lot of this blog tomorrow under L for learn.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Had I read your fine suggestion before I actually posted for the letter l, I would have used it. I may need to squeeze that into another post.

      Hope you're having a great week so far!

      Delete
  2. What a great post, jill of all trades. There is a rhyme in my head that comes out with Jack and Jill
    Jack and Jill
    went up the hill
    and on the top he caught her
    Jill forgot to take her pill
    and now they've got a daughter.

    Silly, I know. When I was 13 in the seventies it was popular in Holland to send a guy to an all girls school and girls to an all boys school to learn their trades. Sow I learned how to cook and sow buttons on a shirt, learn to work with a sewing machine and iron your shirt. The girls learned how to fix a toilet, unplug a sink and to drill a hole in the wall with a power drill.

    It's really useful (and cheaper said the Dutchman) to be able to do things yourself.
    You are a lucky girl to have found a man that is not to proud to learn from a woman. There are a lot of arrogant assholes out there, especially in the "Dom business".
    Good for you girl, keep learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Yes, when I wrote this post, I had the traditional Jack and Jill rhyme in my head, but had never heard of yours. So refreshing!

      In Canada, we had to take family studies (how to cook and sew) and industrial arts (how to saw, solder, and sand). I loved both subjects when I was 12 and 13 years of age. They are handy skills to have.

      I am lucky to have a guy who welcomes learning from me. I taught him how to play rock-paper-scissors several months ago. He then said after that, "Next, you'll need to teach me how baseball works." In return, he is teaching me how cricket is played. I haven't got a clue!

      Thanks for your reply. It made my day!

      Delete