Thursday, August 22, 2013

Blah day turns happier for both of us

My guy and I were having trying days on Monday. It makes sense, considering that it's the first day back from a weekend.

When I'm in the office these days, I tend to help the other three writers in my group. They all have questions and I am the most senior writer on the team. However, the writer who has been there for over a year has no clue how to ask decent questions to get the information that she needs. It is like she is a brand new employee. It stuns me that she has been a writer for ten years.

Anyway, while I was trying to explain that she needs to put herself in the reader's shoes and ask whether what she is writing actually makes sense to her, my guy came up from his meeting. He looked over. He told me later that he knew that I was getting a bit irritated, but that I was still polite. We didn't speak to each other. It was a bit of a bummer.

Well, my guy sent me a message on Skype half an hour later. He asked whether I'd like to have dinner with him. I was game. He left work at 17:00. I followed suit shortly afterward.

We met at the parking lot of our favourite Chinese restaurant. I ordered the lemon chicken, which I loved. My guy ordered a bowl of hot and sour soup, which is fabulous and filling. We both chatted about our day.

My guy is doing a seminar all week. It isn't going well, as the group is asking tons of questions that has nothing to do with what he is talking about.

Our chats are the best. I was asking him about whether I should get travel insurance while I am in the States and whether I can expense it. He said yes. I was about to say that he was the "travel master," but he beat me to it. We are so close that we now say what we're thinking simultaneously.

In a way, it was good that we didn't engage in quality time. You could tell that we both preferred to chat today. My time-of-the-month kicked off in the afternoon. Couple that with my scarlet fever battle, it has been a not-so-great day.

However, my guy said that was why we were together -- to make the day much better. He was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment