Saturday, March 02, 2013

Spelling and grammar mistakes? That's a paddlin'!

I write for a living. I ended up in this profession by accident. I have no regrets. It has been a wonderful accident.

Yesterday, I came across this lovely photo on a Facebook page. It triggered a memory from my childhood.


In grades 1 and 2, I had the same homeroom teacher. In grade 2, towards the end of the school year, she gave us what seemed to be the mother of all spelling tests. What she said to us a day or two before the test day was the following:
"If you make three mistakes or more, you know what you'll get? The smacks."
Now, it sounds like I am ancient. I don't think that I am. However, if a teacher said that these days, it wouldn't been acceptable.

This teacher was special. I probably have mentioned that she was the one who spanked me lightly for finishing my math exercises faster than she had expected. She then hugged me after she was done patting my backside. Perhaps that is one reason why I like being hugged and cuddled after being spanked these days.

Anyway, I did make more than three mistakes on my spelling test back in grade 2. I had secretly hoped to get my fair share of smacks, but that never happened. However, it would be a perfect role-playing scenario to act out with my guy. Making grammatical errors would also be perfect for my backside to be paddled, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment